Mayor John Bridgeman
- Native of Gastonia, NC.
- Attended local public schools, Gardner Webb College and UNC-C.
- Grew up in Linden ARP Church serving as deacon.
- Active in First Presbyterian Church in Gastonia, for over 30 years, formerly serving as an elder and Chairman of the Church Personnel Committee, and currently Chairman of the Scholarship Committee.
- Married to Nan Falls Bridgeman, a former teacher.
- Four grown children, Amy Bridgeman Guerette, Dana Bridgeman Wilson, Robert Crawford Bridgeman and William Alexander Bridgeman and six grandchildren.
- Awarded Father of the Year in Charlotte by the Greater Carolinas Chapter of the American Diabetes Association.
- While in college, John worked evenings at Sears becoming the youngest Department head in the chain.
- Loan officer at Citizens National Bank in the late 1960s.
- John attended the Real Estate Institute in Chapel Hill and then opened Bridgeman Real Estate Company in 1970.
- Owned and operated the largest real estate company in Gaston County for over 30 years. The company had two divisions, residential and commercial, with offices in Gastonia and Belmont.
- Active in Gaston Homebuilders for 30 years.
- Past president of Gaston Board of Realtors, and Realtor of the Year.
- Served five years on the NC Real Estate Commission in Raleigh, elected chairman in 1996.
- Sold the residential portion of his real estate business to Allen Tate in 1999.
- Served in the NC House representing parts of Gaston and Mecklenburg Counties, 1998-2000.
- Interim President/CEO of Gaston Chamber of Commerce from 2000 until 2002.
- Presently selling commercial real estate for Bridgeman and Associates and overseeing Bridgeman Family Properties.
- Elected Mayor of the City of Gastonia– November, 2011.
- Re-elected - November, 2015.
- Former member of Noon Optimist Club, Gastonia Civitan Club.
- Past president of the Gastonia Jaycees.
- Mayor’s Human Relation Commission in late 1960s.
- Served three terms on the Gastonia City Council in the late 1970s.
- Long-time member of the Gastonia Rotary Club.
- Served on various boards over the years, including the Chamber of Commerce, Schiele Museum, United Way, Salvation Army Advisory Board and others.
- In 1997, received the Order of the Long Leaf Pine from the Governor.
Questions or comments about this site? Email the webmaster.