General Guidelines for Pickup
Guidelines for your cart:
- Place household trash and garbage in tied plastic bags prior to placing in the cart.
- Be sure that the bags are fully inside the cart and that the lid will shut.
- Do not place leaves, grass clippings and other yard waste in the cart.
- Do not place construction and remodeling materials in the cart.
- Do not place hazardous material in the cart.
To ensure your roll out cart is emptied:
- Your cart should be at the curb before 7:00 am on your scheduled collection day.
- Place your cart 4 feet away from recycling cart, trees, mailboxes, parked cars, fences and utility lines so that the automated truck can empty your cart.
- The cart should be placed within 2 feet of the curb with the lid opening toward the street. The truck cannot empty the cart if it is turned the wrong direction.
- If your cart is improperly placed or if it is placed at the curb later than 7:00 am, you will need to contact the Solid Waste Customer Service Center and schedule collection for another day. The collection truck is on a scheduled route and is unable to return to addresses the same day.
- Remove your empty cart from the street by midnight on your collection day.
- To verify your normal garbage collection day, please click here
For more information, please see the Quick Links section to the right.
Offices for Solid Waste are open 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.
Solid Waste Division
P.O. Box 1748 Gastonia, NC 28052-1748
Questions or comments about this site? Email the webmaster.