If your landscape has high water needs, an irrigation meter may provide real cost savings because sewer charges are not applied to water used through an irrigation system. Irrigation systems installed after 2003 require a backflow assembly which is inspected not only during the initial installation but annually. Customers considering an irrigation meter should contact a licensed plumber or landscaping company prior to purchasing an irrigation meter to determine the additional costs associated with the backflow assembly.
- Evaluate landscaping water needs to determine if a separate irrigation meter service will be of benefit.
- Contact the City of Gastonia Collections Division to pay for and schedule the installation of the irrigation water tap.
- Have the backflow assembly and connection inspected by the City of Gastonia Permits & Inspections Division. The inspection can be scheduled by the plumber or the landscaping company installing the system.
- The City of Gastonia Permits & Inspections Division will notify Public Works to set the irrigation meter once inspections has passed the backflow assembly.
- Irrigation charges will show up as a separate line item on your utility bill each month.
- The backflow assembly must be tested annually by an approved company and copies of the test and inspection reports are submitted to the Utilities Division.
For more information on Utility Customer Service see the Quick Links section to the right.
Offices for Utility Customer Service are open Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and are located in City Hall at 181 South Street on the first floor.
181 South Street, Gastonia, NC 28052
(PO Box 1748, Gastonia, NC 28053)