Beginning July 1, 2018 a $25.00 fee will assessed for yard waste that weighs more than 100 lbs. and for each additional 100 lbs, an additional $25.00 fee will apply. Using a yard waste cart can help avoid these additional charges. Yard waste is collected on the same day your garbage cart is emptied by a different crew. NC Law requires yard waste and garbage to be collected separately. Yard waste should not be placed in your green garbage cart or grey recycling cart.
The following items are collected by your yard waste crew:
- Limbs (No larger than 4 feet in length or 4 inches in diameter)
- Logs (No larger than 4 feet in length or 4 inches in diameter)
- Grass clippings (Contained in a private container that is 32 gallons or less in size with handles. You may have more than one container if necessary). DO NOT USE ANY YARD WASTE BAGS.
- Yard Waste carts are available for a one time $50.00 cart lease, the City will repair any damages free of charge. You may place all you loose clippings, small limbs, or any compostable material inside of this cart. Please contact customer service to request a yard waste cart. Please click here for more information about yard waste carts.
- Leaves (Vacuumed at the curb from October 1 to March 31st. April 1st through September 30th leaves will be collected the same method as grass clippings.)
Offices for Solid Waste are open 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday excluding major holidays.
Solid Waste Division
P.O. Box 1748 Gastonia, NC 28053-1748
Questions or comments about this site? Email the webmaster.