Mayor's Youth Leadership Council
- Planning and providing a meal for the Shelter of Gaston County
- Organizing food for the Backpack Weekend Food Program
- Planning and implementing activities for the Gastonia Boys and Girls Club
- Hosting the first-ever Special Populations Game Night
- Hosting the Second Annual Special Olympics Fishing Derby
- Volunteering at the Community Foundation Run
- Volunteering at the Senior Games of Gaston County
- Fundraising for the American Cancer Society at Relay for Life
A few of our accomplishments are:
- "Party at the Pavilion" - a community-wide drug and alcohol-free concert for all county high school students
- 3 on 3 Basketball Tournament - fundraiser involving area high school students to fund MYLC projects
- Habitat for Humanity - assisted the Gastonia Police Department in the building of their Habitat House
- Hospital Visits - visited children and hospice patients at Gaston Memorial Hospital during Christmas
- Gaston Boys and Girls Club - organized and hosted seasonal parties with food, games and activities for Christmas and Valentine's Day
- Created the Annual Special Olympics Fishing Tournament - held at Rankin Lake Park
To empower youth as leaders, volunteers, peer mentors, and community decision makers.
To serve the common good of the community and provide a voice for the city’s youth while organizing and participating in constructive community service projects, strengthening relationships among all members of the community, building a noncompetitive spirit between students of Gastonia area schools, promoting youth participation in governmental affairs, and acting as a resource for any city organization upon request.
For more information on the Mayor’s Youth Leadership Council, see the Quick Links section to the right.
2018-2019 Mayor's Youth Leadership Applications are due by Friday, September 14, 2018.
Questions or comments about this site? Email the webmaster.