Questions About Utility Services
- Residential customers can apply over the phone with an acceptable credit rating and previous service in good standing with the City of Gastonia. (we no longer accept letters of credit from other utility agencies).
- Residential customers can also apply by completing the online Residential Utility Service Application and if necessary, the Identity Verification Form. The forms can be faxed to the Customer Service Division at 704-869-1055, mailed to City of Gastonia Customer Service, PO Box 1748, Gastonia, NC 28053 or delivered in person to the Customer Service Division located on the first floor of Gastonia City Hall, 181 S. South St, Gastonia NC 28052.
- Commercial customers need to apply in person. These customers need to make sure their zoning has been approved, and any inspection issues have been resolved.
Q: What do I need to provide when applying for utility service?
- Residential customers need to provide the following:
- A valid U.S. government issued Photo ID (driver's license, identification card, military ID or passport) or completed Identity Verification Form.
- A deposit – deposit amounts are based on the customer's credit worthiness as reported by Online Utilities Exchange. Deposits can be waived with an acceptable credit rating or with a guarantor who has had utilities with the city for at least 24 months and has maintained a good or excellent credit rating. If a deposit is required, it may be necessary to provide additional documentation, such as a signed lease agreement or purchase contract,to establish occupancy at the requested service location address.
- Commercial customers need to provide the following:
- An authorized agent of the company must come in and apply for service.
- Deposits range from $400 to $35,000 depending on the type of business.
- Deposits can be waived with approved letters of credit or Surety Bond.
- Bills are due when rendered, and become past due on the 21st day after the date of the bill.
Q: What happens if I don't pay by the 21st day?
- On the 21st day a late fee of $5.00 or 1.5%, whichever is greater, will be added to the account.
- Seven to fourteen days later the account will be disconnected, and a $25 Administration fee may be added to the account.
- If services are disconnected, an additional $20.00 Reconnection Fee may be added to the account when service is restored. If service is restored after 5:00 p.m. an additional charge of $30.00 may apply for after-hours reconnection.
For more information on Utility Customer Service see the Quick Links section to the right.
Offices for Utility Customer Service are open Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and are located in City Hall at 181 South Street on the first floor.
181 South Street, Gastonia, NC 28052
(PO Box 1748, Gastonia, NC 28053-1748)
Questions or comments about this site? Email the webmaster.