Questions About Utility Services
Q: How do I apply for utility service with the City of Gastonia?
- Residential customers can apply over the phone with an acceptable credit rating and previous service in good standing with the City of Gastonia. (we no longer accept letters of credit from other utility agencies).
Residential customers can also apply by completing the online Residential Utility Service Application and faxing it to the Customer Service Division at 704-869-1055.
Residential Utility Service Application
- Commercial customers need to apply in person. These customers need to make sure their zoning has been approved, and any inspection issues have been resolved.
Q: What do I need to provide when applying for utility service?
Residential customers need to provide the following:
- A valid picture ID.
- A lease or proof of purchase.
- A deposit – deposit amounts are based on the customer's credit worthiness as reported by Online Utilities Exchange. Deposits can be waived with an acceptable credit rating or with a guarantor who has had utilities with the city for at least 24 months and has maintained a good or excellent credit rating.
Commercial customers need to provide the following:
- An authorized agent of the company must come in and apply for service.
- Deposits range from $400 to $35,000 depending on the type of business.
- Deposits can be waived with approved letters of credit or Surety Bond.
Q: When is my bill due?
- Bills are due when rendered, and become past due on the 21st day after the date of the bill.
Q: What happens if I don't pay by the 21st day?
- On the 21st day a late fee of $5.00 or 1.5%, whichever is greater, will be added to the account.
- Seven to fourteen days later the account will be disconnected, and a $25 administration fee will be added to the account.
- If the account is then paid, a $20 administration connection fee is added to the account, and the service is restored.
For more information on Utility Customer Service see the Quick Links and Programs sections to the right.
Offices for Utility Customer Service are open Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and are located in City Hall at 181 South Street on the first floor.
181 South Street, Gastonia, NC 28052
(PO Box 1748, Gastonia, NC 28053-1748)