Apply for New Service or Transfer Service

electric-serviceIf you are starting a new business in Gastonia, or the surrounding area, where some or all of the utility services are provided by the City of Gastonia or Two Rivers Utilities, and need to establish service in your name, please complete the online Non-Residential Utility Service Application and allow two (2) working days for us to process your request.

You will also be required to provide proof of legal occupancy for the address in which you requesting utility service and proof of identity. For property owners, legal occupancy can be established with a signed copy of the purchase agreement, closing papers or deed. Renters may provide a copy of the lease agreement or utility verification form from their landlord. A sample form can be found here.

Because electricity, water and sewer are billed after being used, we require that you establish credit as part of your application for new service. However, for Non-Residential customers there are two alternatives for having the deposit waived, which are further outlined on the application form.

Contact Information:

Garland Business Center, 1st Floor150 S. York Street, Gastonia, NC 28052
(PO Box 1748, Gastonia, NC 28053-1748)
704.866.6714 (office)
704.869.1055 (fax)
Email us with general questions and inquiries only.

For new or transferred service or to place a request to disconnect service, please use the Quick Links on the right to ensure we receive and confirm your request.  Thank you!