Assigning Addresses

How does it work?
The City maintains the street address system, which includes assigning new addresses within the City limits or extraterritorial jurisdiction, correcting address problems, changing addresses when necessary, and notifying various City departments and outside agencies of new, corrected, or changed addresses. Maintaining correct address files are important to the City Billing, Electrical, Code Enforcement, and Public Works/Utilities departments, as well as, Gaston County Emergency Management, who uses these addresses to direct fire, police, and medical response services in the case of an emergency.

Street Name Approval Form
Street Name Change Application

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. When my address changes, who will I need to notify of my new address?
A. You will first need to request a "Change of Address Form" from the post office, fill in the appropriate information and return as soon as possible to the post office. When the post office has a change of address form on file, they will forward your mail to the new address for one year. During that one-year period, you will need to notify anyone that sends you mail of your new address. Also, it is very important to notify BellSouth of your E-911 address. This is the address that is displayed when a call is made to E-911 and is utilized by emergency workers in finding you. BellSouth has a billing address and an E-911 address for each phone number. It is important to change both addresses, but more important is the E-911 address.
Q. Why is it important to post my address and where should it be posted?
A. It is important to post your address so that the mail carrier and other delivery services will be able to find your house. Most importantly, though, is for emergency workers to be able to find your house. The house number should be three inches high and be visible from the road at night. Keep in mind the worst case scenario: it is dark, raining, and there are several trees in your yard; these conditions make it almost impossible for emergency workers to find your house. It is important to make it as easy as possible for emergency workers to find you as quickly as possible.
Q. When are addresses assigned to new subdivisions?
A. The addresses are assigned when the subdivision map is recorded. These addresses can usually be found on the recording map or you can also obtain these addresses by calling 704.866.6943.
Q. If I own a vacant lot in the City do I need to get an address before I build a house or business on it?
A. An address is necessary for most correspondence that you have with the City concerning your land. This address will be needed to obtain a driveway or building permit. If a site plan is required for the construction that you are planning, then the address will be assigned at that time and be listed on the site plan. The address will, also, be needed to turn on water or electrical services, when the construction is complete.
Offices for Addressing services are located in the Garland Municipal Business Center at 150 S. York Street on the third floor.


Contact Information:
Garland Municipal Business Center
150 S. York Street, Gastonia, NC  28052
(PO Box 1748, Gastonia, NC  28053-1748)
704.866.6943 (office)
704.854.6654 (fax)


Questions or comments about this site? Email the webmaster.

Print   Email