As the lead agency for the Gastonia-Gaston Home Consortium, the City of Gastonia was awarded $2.8 million dollars as part of the HOME American Rescue Plan (HOME-ARP). The grant is from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and may be used to assist citizens with housing and housing-related services. In order to receive the funds, an allocation plan must be developed and include feedback from citizens and the community.
When will the plan be available for the community to review?
COMMENT PERIOD: The plan is available for public comment beginning Wednesday, February 22, 2023 through Friday, March 10, 2023.
New! PUBLIC NOTICE: FY2021-22 AAP Amendment: HOME-ARP Combined Notice of Public Hearing and Public Comment
New! HOME-ARP DRAFT: Gastonia-Gaston HOME Consortium HOME-ARP Allocation Plan-DRAFT
There is one scheduled community meeting to allow the community an opportunity to review the draft plan and provide feedback.
Date: Thursday, February 23, 2023
Time: 6:00 PM
Location: City of Gastonia Adult Recreation Center
Address: 519 W. Franklin Blvd., Gastonia, NC 28052
HOME-ARP PUBLIC HEARING (Virtual Public Hearing)
Thursday, March 9, 2023 12pm - 2pm
WebEx Meeting link:
2531 369 4372
Join from a video or application
You can also dial 184.108.40.206 and enter your meeting number.
Meeting password for video system
Join by phone
+1-650-479-3208 United States Toll
Access code: 25313694372
Global call-in numbers
If you need an interpreter, language services, need to make a reasonable accommodation request, and/or require a person to assist you while attending these hearings, please contact Danette Dye by calling 704-866-6758 (TDD: 1-800-735-2962 ) or via email at Danetted@cityofgastonia.com as soon as possible to ensure arrangements. For more information about the meeting please call Danette Dye at (704) 866-6758.
Este informacion esta disponible en espanol o en cualquier otro idioma bajo peticion. Por favor, pongase en contacto con Danette Dye al 704-866-6758 o en 150 South York Street, Gastonia, NC de alogamiento para esta solicitud.
Written comments regarding the City’s proposed plan may be submitted by 5pm on Friday, March 10, 2023 to:
Danette Dye, Director of Housing and Community Engagement
City of Gastonia
PO Box 1748
Gastonia, NC 28053-1748
What are the steps to obtain grant approval?
- February 22, 2023 – March 10, 2023: The draft plan will be available for citizen comments for a 15-day period.
- March 21, 2023: Submit to Gastonia City Council for approval
- March 24, 2023: Submit document to HUD for review and approval.
Who is eligible to receive grant assistance?
- Homeless Individuals and Families
- Individuals of families at-risk of losing housing
- Domestic Violence Victims
- Military Veterans
- Persons with very low incomes who are most likely to have unstable housing conditions
How can grant funds be used?
- Build or repair Affordable Housing
- Provide Tenant-Based Rental Assistance (TBRA) Vouchers
- Provide Homeless Prevention and Housing Counseling Services
- Create shelter space or Non-Congregate Shelter (NCS) where each individual or household has living space that offers some level of privacy. (examples: hotels or dormitories).
Note: The Non-Congregate Shelter (NCS) type will not replace the current emergency shelter.
What else can the grant be used for?
- Pay staff to manage the program
- Training and Development for non-profit organizations
What has taken place so far?
- The community survey ended on January 20, 2023, and the feedback provided will be included as part of the plan.
- City staff conducted interview sessions with various community members to obtain additional information and feedback about the gaps in housing and services for eligible populations.
- The City of Gastonia conducted two (2) focus group sessions for local government municipalities, non-profit agencies, fair housing agencies, churches and other community groups within Gaston County to discuss the needs for housing and related services within each community of Gaston County on Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 10 am and 1pm.
- Tuesday, February 7, 2023 -10:00 am - 11:30 am: Non-Profit Organizations, Fair Housing Agencies, Other Community Groups
PRESENTATION SLIDES: Agency Input Session 2023 02 07-10am
- Tuesday, February 7, 2023 – 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm: Local government municipalities
PRESENTATION SLIDES: Gaston County Municipalities Input Session 2023 02 07-1pm
- February 9, 2023: Deadline to receive all comments for the draft plan.
- February 10 – 21, 2023: City staff will use comments received along with statistical data to prepare a draft plan.
- February 23, 2023: Conduct an in-person Community Meeting to present the draft plan and obtain final comments
For additional details on housing or homeless assistance please visit the HUD website.