The below submittal guidelines should be followed when a business, facility or organization intends to install or modify any Access Controlled Door System within the Gastonia Fire Department jurisdiction. These guidelines are not to be interpreted as containing all data required for proper design, installation, or approval. All Access Controlled Doors shall conform to the current adopted editions of the North Carolina Fire & Building Codes.
Below submittal requirements are to be followed when a building or facility within the city limits of Gastonia propses to install an entry and/or exit access controlled egress door. This includes the use of electric strikes, magnetic locks and/or any device(s) intending to impeded or restrict egress from a building:
1. Provide a detailed description of the operation of the Access Control/ Egress Control System in normal, loss of power and activation of a fire protection system. (If fire alarm is present, the locks must drop out when fire alarm is activated).
2. Drawing detailing the installation location and layout, including all hookups/ integration into building systems (i.e. fire alarm) and wiring.
3. Submittal shall include a full floor plan for the facility, to include the egress routes.
4. Plan should included the current North Carolina Fire & Building code referenced allowing the access controlled door to be installed.
5. A full equipment listing and manufacturer documentation for all parts and materials used in the project.
6. No doors and/or hardware shall be installed on the site until a permit has been issued.
7. Magnetic locks, and electric strike locks shall be in compliance with the North Carolina Fire & Building Code
Upon the submittal being approved, a permit will be issued in order for the work to be done.
All Access Controlled Door Systems permitted by this office, must pass a field acceptance test facilitated by the Gastonia Fire Marshal's Office.
You can pull a permit in two different ways:
1. Our preferred method of submitting applications is through our online portal City View (see Gastoniafire.org/construction for complete instructions). On that page view the video titled "City View Construction permit". For this application you will need to add Access Controlled Door System in the description of work, and select Fire Alarm & Detection Systems as the work item in the City View Portal.
2. Include all of the below submittal information, a permit application (which can be found here), and email it to AFM Terry Revis at: firstname.lastname@example.org or FM Chris Stowe at: email@example.com. Note if you choose to send your submttal via email, you will need to mail a check or money order for $52.50 to:
If you have any questions contact Assitant Fire Marshal Terry Revis at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Fire Marshal Chris Stowe at: email@example.com.