NOTE: Include Lot Number, Subdivision and description of new home being built under Description of Work on Portal.
Submittal Requirements (will be needed before starting application on-line):
* You will be prompted to upload required documents. *
- OWNER DOING ALL OR PART OF THE WORK (all can be done by owner if owner occupied. If not owner occupied, only building work can be done by owner and will need to secure NC licensed contractors for all other trades) - submit NOTARIZED OWNERS STATEMENT FOR LESS THAN 30,000 or NOTARIZED OWNERS STATEMENT FOR GREATER THAN $30,000 IN COST OF CONSTRUCTION, which will need to be notarized prior to submitting with application through our CV Portal, and check off the trade you will be doing work on.
- Site Plan showing distances, taking into consideration proposed structure, including exterior porches/decks and driveway, and mark property setbacks (you can contact the Zoning Department at firstname.lastname@example.org for setback requirement if not known).
- Building Plans
- Affidavit of Workers’ Compensation Coverage – Appendix D (over $30,000 in construction cost)
- Lien Agent (in property owners name) (over $30,000 in construction cost)
- Erosion and Sediment Control Application (if you do not have a master one with Gaston County)
When applying for permit on portal – things to know:
- Estimated Construction Cost Step 1 – Must always include
- Description of Work Step 1 – Please include Neighborhood Name, Lot Number, Number of Bedrooms/Baths and one or two car garage. Also, name and contact for your Driveway Concrete Contractor if pouring a Driveway.
- Work Items Step 3 – Select if a driveway approach and/or sidewalk will be added to the property.
- Upload Files Step 7 - For Modular Homes, upload $5,000 Surety Bond, made out to the City of Gastonia, under section for Additional Documents
Offices for Building Permits and Inspections are located in the Garland Municipal Business Center at 150 S. York Street on the first floor.
Garland Municipal Business Center
150 S. York Street, Gastonia, NC 28052
(PO Box 1748, Gastonia, NC 28053-1748)
Open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
704.866.6729 extension 3 (office)