Homeowners Doing Work Themselves

General Statutes stipulates that Homeowners can also be the contractor if:

If the property is rented:

Property owner can be the Building Contractor and pull the permit only for the structural part of the project if less than $30,000 in estimated construction cost and the subs will have to pull separate permits.  If the owner is a Licensed General Contractor with the State of NC, then subs can be listed on the same application as the General Contractors.

When applying for a permit on portal – things to know:

• Please email us at codeenf@cityofgastonia.com if you need us to add R/I inspection to your permit and provide us with your permit number. Only Finals will load with Single Trade Permits and you will need to let us know if you need other inspections added that will be needed.

NOTE: Once you pay for your permit it immediately be available on your portal under My Permits, clicking on the permit number in blue, scroll to the bottom to view or print Permit-Detailed.


Offices for Building Permits and Inspections are located in the Garland Municipal Business Center at 150 S. York Street on the first floor.
Contact Information:
Garland Municipal Business Center
150 S. York Street, Gastonia, NC  28052
(PO Box 1748, Gastonia, NC  28053-1748)
Open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. 

704.866.6729 extension 3 (office)
704.836.0010 (fax)

Print   Email