The Gastonia Fire Department's Life Safety Division enforces the North Carolina Fire Code. Any commercial building in the City of Gastonia is required to be inspected by a member of our staff.
As a service to our citizens, below is the top 10 code violations commonly found during inspections.
- Fire extinguishers failing to have annual inspections by a qualified extinguisher company.
- Improper Storage of combustibles too close to heat sources or ceilings, and the improper storage and use of flammable liquids/ hazardous materials.
- Extension cords used as substitute for permanent wiring.
- Exit problems such as; blocked aisles, blocked/locked doors, and blocked/open fire doors.
- Inoperative Exit Signs and Emergency Lights due to burned out bulbs and bad batteries for back up in case of electrical power failure.
- Bad housekeeping without regular trash removal.
- Broken or defective electrical fixtures (broken, missing outlet or switch plate covers and electrical light fixtures).
- Blocked Electrical Circuit Breaker Panels (A minimum clearance of 36” is required in front and to the sides of panels).
- Fire Alarm, Fire Extinguishing and Sprinkler Systems failing to have routine servicing/testing by a qualified company.
- Street address numbers not displayed or proper size.