Fire Alarm Submittal Requirements
Fire Alarm & Detection System Plan Review Submittal Requirements
The NC Fire Prevention Code requires that a construction permit be obtained for the installation of/or modification to fire alarm and detection systems and related equipment.
If a fire alarm contractor is modifying an existing fire alarm, or installing a new system look below for the full submittal requirements:
- You can now submit permit appllications, plans, and pay permit fees online via our new elctronic City View portal. To do so go to: https://devsvcs.cityofgastonia.com/.
- Note you must register for an account prior to submittal, and activate the account from a valid email address before using. When applying for an account when prompted to associate the account with a contractor and business license, select NO. Please review the following video on registering for an account at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAy_NWP8KYo&feature=youtu.be.
- When the account is confirmed, go to the above portal page, click apply for a fire permit, in the choose the application type select Fire, and then complete the submittal application.
- If you desire to submit paper plans, you will need to submit a permit application, 2 sets of plans, and permit fee via check only. They can be dropped off or mailed.
- Our preferred method of submitting permit applications and plans is through the new City View portal system. Please refer to the below submittal guidelines when submitting:
- If 10 or less devices are being added or modified, then only a permit application, permit payment and specification sheets are required.
- Emergency repairs only require a permit application and permit payment.
- Modification of an Existing System will require plans only if the fire alarm panel is being upgraded or replaced with a new fire alarm panel.
- Two sets of plans that are either PE or NICET III stamped.
- Show the location address of the protected premises.
- Be drawn to a specific scale of 1/8 inch.
- Provide the manufacturer’s data sheets indicating the model numbers and listing information for equipment, devices, and materials.
- Device legend and symbols in accordance with NFPA 170.
- Provide a Riser diagram in accordance with Section 7.4.6 of NFPA 72.
- Provide a Sequence of operation input/output matrix.
- A floor plan that shows the use of all rooms or spaces.
- Locations of all alarm initiating devices.
- Location of all alarm notification devices including candela ratings.
- Location of fire alarm control unit, transponders, and power supplies.
- Show the location of all annunciators.
- Show the power connection for the system.
- Provide Battery calculations and Voltage drop calculations.
- Provide conductor type and sizes.
- Provide details of ceiling heights and construction.
- Provide certification to perform the work.
The issuance of a Fire Department Construction Permit from the Gastonia Fire Marshal’s Office does not relieve the applicant of any permits required by the City of Gastonia Building Services Department. They can be reached at (704)866 6729.