Fire Alarm & Detection System Plan Review Submittal Requirements
The NC Fire Prevention Code requires that a construction permit be obtained for the installation of/or modification to fire alarm and detection systems and related equipment.
Our preferred method of submitting permit applications and if needed plans is through our new City View online portal system. See Gastoniafire.org/constuction for complete instructions. If you desire to submit paper plans you will need to look below for what needs to be submitted along with a permit application, and pay the permit fee via check only. They can be dropped off or mailed.
Look below for Fire Alarm submittal requirements:
- If 5 or less devices are being added or modified, then a Scope Of Work Letter, permit application, permit payment and specification sheets are required. Once the permit is issued and work is done, an acceptance test will be done by this office in conjunction with the fire alarm contractor. A certificate of completion will also be required upon completion of the project.
- Emergency repairs only require a permit application and permit payment.
- If installing a new fire alarm panel, if the panel is of the same type (for example conventional to conventinal or addressable to addressable) then a permit application, Scope Of Work Letter noting that any existing notification devices are compatible with the new panel, permit payment and specification sheets are all that is required. Once the permit is issued and work is done, an acceptance test will be done by this office in conjunction with the fire alarm contractor. A certificate of completion will also be required upon completion of the project.
- If adding 6 or more devices, installing a new fire alarm system, or upgrading a new fire alarm panel ALL of the below will need to be submiitted:
- City View Portal submitted, mailed, or dropped off plans should include 2 set of plans that are either PE or NICET III stamped.
- Show the location address of the protected premises.
- Plans have to be drawn to a specific scale of 1/8 inch.
- Provide the manufacturer’s data sheets indicating the model numbers and listing information for equipment, devices, and materials.
- Device legend and symbols in accordance with NFPA 170.
- Provide a Riser diagram in accordance with Section 7.4.6 of NFPA 72.
- Provide a Sequence of operation input/output matrix.
- A floor plan that shows the use of all rooms or spaces.
- Locations of all alarm initiating devices.
- Location of all alarm notification devices including candela ratings.
- Location of fire alarm control unit, transponders, and power supplies.
- Show the location of all annunciators.
- Show the power connection for the system.
- Provide Battery calculations and Voltage drop calculations.
- Provide conductor type and sizes.
- Provide details of ceiling heights and construction.
- Provide certification to perform the work.
- Once the permit is submitted and work is done, an acceptance test will be done by this office in conjunction with the fire alarm contractor. A certificate of completion will also need be required upon completion of the project.
The issuance of a Fire Department Construction Permit from the Gastonia Fire Marshal’s Office does not relieve the applicant of any permits required by the City of Gastonia Building Services Department. They can be reached at (704)866 6729.