Automatic Sprinkler or Standpipe System Plan Review Submittal Requirements
The NC Fire Prevention Code requires that a construction permit be obtained for the installation of/or modification to an automatic sprinkler or standpipe system.
Our preferred method of submitting permit applications and if needed plans is through our new City View online portal system. See Gastoniafire.org/constuction for complete instructions. If you desire to submit paper plans you will need to look below for what needs to be submitted along with a permit application, and pay the permit fee via check only. They can be dropped off or mailed.
Look below for submittal requirements:
- If modifying/adding 10 or less heads then only a Scope of Work Letter, permit application and permit fee are required. Once the permit is issued and work is completed a follow up inspection or if needed acceptance test will be done by this office in conjuction with the sprinkler contractor. A certificate of completion will also be required upon completion of the project.
- If modifying 11 or more heads or installing a new system, a permit applicaton, permit fee, and all of the below must be submitted.
- Provide two sets of NICET Level III stamped drawings.
- Plans must be drawn to 1/4 or 1/8 inch scale.
- Must provide proof of valid sprinkler license.
- Plans must identify all rooms and spaces within the area being protected.
- Plans must indicate all ceiling heights and types of ceilings.
- Plans must show the location of the FDC, risers, and any standpipe systems provided.
- Please furnish the manufacturer specification sheets for all heads, piping and materials being used.
- Provide a total count and type of heads being used per floor or area being protected.
- Provide hydraulic calculations based on a current flow test.
- Plans must show sizes and diameter of all piping.
- Plans must show a hydrant within 100 feet of the FDC connection.
- The FDC connection must either be remote or in an approved location.
- Show the location of all control valves, relief valves, check valves, drain valves and test connections.
- Plans shall indicate the commodity being protected.
Once the permit is issued and work is completed an acceptance test will be done by this office in conjuction with the sprinkler contractor. A certificate of completion will also be required upon completion of the project.
The issuance of a Fire Department Construction Permit from the Gastonia Fire Marshal’s Office does not relieve the applicant of any permits required by the City of Gastonia Building Services Department. They can be reached at (704)866 6729.