Fire Suppression Submittal Requirements
Automatic Fire Suppression Systems Plan Review Submittal Requirements
The NC Fire Prevention Code requires that a construction permit be obtained for the installation of/or modification to automatic fire suppression systems. The code also requires that construction documents be submitted for review and approval prior to system installation. These systems are normally used for the protection of cooking equipment, ventilation and exhaust systems, spray booths, electrical rooms, and areas where an alternative to a required automatic sprinkler system is allowed and approved.
- Two set of plans shall be provided and drawn to ¼ inch scale or shall be suitably dimensioned and be reproducible.
- Include a current Manufacturers Certification for the installer.
- Size, length and arrangement of connected piping shall be shown.
- Description and location of all nozzles and fusible links must be provided.
- Show the location of all Manual Operating devices.
- Identification of all hazards being protected including physical dimensions, cooking appliances, energy sources of appliances and air handling equipment must be provided.
- Provide manufacturer data sheets, model numbers and listing information for equipment, devices and materials. Sheets must verify the compatibility with any existing equipment.
- Show the location, size and total flow points of all cylinders.
- Show the size and dimensions of all hoods, plenums and exhaust ducts.
- Show the location of all appliances being protected.
- All energy sources under the hood shall be on a shunt trip including any lights.
- Occupant notification must be provided either by a fire alarm or an external audible/visual device mounted in an approved location.
The issuance of a Fire Department Construction Permit from the Gastonia Fire Marshal’s Office does not relieve the applicant of any permits required by the City of Gastonia Building Services Department. They can be reached at (704)866-6729.