The Gastona Fire Department was first established in 1901, by a group of volunteer citizens under the command of George G. Glenn as Chief.
During those times equipment was scarce and basically non existent.
The only fire hose available was wound on a small hand reel, but the only way to transport it was it had to be pushed or carried to fires.
In 1905, a team of “fine fire horses” were purchased, and L. L. Jenkins donated a fire wagon and some harnesses. This became the first official fire apparatus for the Gastonia Fire Department.
Since then, the department has grown leaps and bounds behind the leadership of the 18 Fire Chiefs that have lead the department through the years.
From our first official fire station on South Street in 1901 (pictured to the right), to our newest building our department headquarters and Station 1 built in 2002, we continue to grow to serve the public.
Today, we have a total of eight fire stations and more than 141 firefighters who have the privlige of operating state-of-the-art equipment to ensure the safety of the citizens of Gastonia.
Click here to see more pictures from our departments history.
Click here for a comprehensive written history of the department.