Yard trimmings and brush are collected separately from garbage so that they can be taken to a facility where they’re turned into mulch – instead of depositing them at a landfill and wasting valuable natural resources.
Fall and Winter Schedule
Yard Waste is collected on your regular collection day except for the months of November, December and January. During these months yard waste is only collected during one week of the month to allow additional personnel to conduct leaf collection.
- November 2-6, 2020
- December 7-12, 2020
- January 11-15, 2021
Stack it at the Curb
Individual tree and shrub limbs up to four feet long and four inches in diameter can be stacked at the curb on your weekly pickup day. No plastic bags, garbage, bulk items, stumps or root balls are accepted in brush piles. To avoid collection charges, make sure piles do not exceed 4.5 cubic yards or what will fit in the bed of a standard size pickup truck. Please do not place in the street or on a sidewalk.
Yard Waste Fees
Fees for yard waste collection are $25 for any amount over 4.5 cubic yards or easily measured by what will fit into the back of a standard size pickup truck. The fee can be increased in increments of $25 per truck load. Most of these collections will require the use of our large knuckle boom truck.
YARD WASTE COLLECTION PROGRAM
- The measurement of 4.5 cubic yards is approximately equal to a full-size pick-up truck bed filled to the top of the cab.
- The fee is assessed on girth rather than weight.
- Bulk limbs are collected manually by a 3-person crew and/or mechanically by a truck that has a knuckle boom arm with a clam shell.
Options to avoid a yard waste collection fee:
- Yard Waste Carts – these carts are 95 gallon (same size as a garbage cart) and can hold up to 300 pounds of yard waste material. The cost of the cart is a one-time $50 charge and can be purchased on a 5-month payment plan through utility billing. Once purchased, the cart is repaired and/or replaced, at no charge, for the life of the cart.
- In addition to the yard waste cart, customers can still place a loose pile of material at the curb that is less than a standard pick up truck load at no charge.
- Customers may choose to place their yard waste at the curb in smaller increments, rather than one large pile that exceed the pick-up truck load.
- Customers can take their yard waste to the Gaston County Yard Waste Facility or one of its Convenience Sites for $4 per pick up truck load. Site locations can be found at: http://www.gastongov.com/government/departments/solid_waste/recycling_centers.php
Examples of other city's programs:
- City of Rock Hill – $5 per cubic yard fee will be assessed to residents who have more than 2 cubic yards of large yard debris out on their collection day. A limit of 2 cubic yards of large yard debris (about the size of two standard refrigerators) will be picked up at no cost to the resident each week.
- City of Durham - a single, monthly yard waste charge of $7.50 for all customers that includes cart repair and maintenance services, cart replacement as needed, and collection and processing of yard waste materials. Additional carts, if needed, are charged $1.50 per month. And of course, customers continue to receive two annual curbside collections of bulky brush as part of their service, at no additional cost.
- City of Burlington - Larger yard waste, in volume or length, is collected Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday on a convenience schedule by a special knuckle boom truck. There is a special collection charge if the amount collected exceeds 3 cubic yards for a minimum of $13.50 charge. Collection cost is determined by the number of scoops required to collect the waste.
- City of Greensboro - yard waste is collected weekly and is included in the residents taxes that is if the yard waste is prepared to code.
Yard Waste Carts are Available
Use the optional 96-gallon brown yard waste cart, available for $50 by calling the city’s customer service center (704-866-6774). The one-time fee is charged on your utility bill, but there is no additional monthly charge for the cart. The cart will be maintained by the city for the life of the cart. We will also repair lids, wheels and other parts of the cart if necessary. Please do not contaminate with trash such as plastic flower containers, bags or other debris.
Drop it off at a Gaston County Convenience Site:
Please click here for a list of those sites and their locations.
Compost it in your own back yard
Click here for information on how to create your own composting area.
For more information please contact our customer service center at 704-866-6774 or firstname.lastname@example.org