- Planning and providing a meal for the Shelter of Gaston County
- Organizing food for the Backpack Weekend Food Program
- Planning and implementing activities for the Gastonia Boys and Girls Club
- Hosting the first-ever Special Populations Game Night
- Hosting the Second Annual Special Olympics Fishing Derby
- Volunteering at the Community Foundation Run
- Volunteering at the Senior Games of Gaston County
- Fundraising for the American Cancer Society at Relay for Life
A few of our accomplishments are:
- "Party at the Pavilion" - a community-wide drug and alcohol-free concert for all county high school students
- 3 on 3 Basketball Tournament - fundraiser involving area high school students to fund MYLC projects
- Habitat for Humanity - assisted the Gastonia Police Department in the building of their Habitat House
- Hospital Visits - visited children and hospice patients at Gaston Memorial Hospital during Christmas
- Gaston Boys and Girls Club - organized and hosted seasonal parties with food, games and activities for Christmas and Valentine's Day
- Created the Annual Special Olympics Fishing Tournament - held at Rankin Lake Park
To empower youth as leaders, volunteers, peer mentors, and community decision makers.
To serve the common good of the community and provide a voice for the city’s youth while organizing and participating in constructive community service projects, strengthening relationships among all members of the community, building a noncompetitive spirit between students of Gastonia area schools, promoting youth participation in governmental affairs, and acting as a resource for any city organization upon request.
For more information on the Mayor’s Youth Leadership Council, see the Quick Links section to the right.
2021 Mayor's Youth Leadership Applications are due by Friday, January 8, 2021.