Permit Not Required
• Sheds less than 12 ft. x 12 ft. in any direction, only on Residential properties
• All Commercial Sheds or Detached Accessory
• Sheds over 12 ft. x 12 ft. in any direction for Residential
• Detached Garages for Commercial and Residential, any size, including metal structures
When a permit is not required due the size, they must be placed 5 ft. off the property line and from any other structures on the property. If other storage buildings are on the property, you will need to contact Zoning Department at firstname.lastname@example.org to make sure you do not exceed the allowed number in sq. ft. for accessory structures according to Unified Development Ordinance regulations.
Submittal Requirement (will be needed before starting application on-line)
You will be prompted to upload required documents:
- Sketch of Property, or site plan, showing all structures on property, including proposed structure, property lines and distances from proposed structure. (Commercial and Residential)
- Metal Accessory Buildings, including metal garages, will require engineered set of plans and these can be provided by vendor where this structure is being purchased. (Commercial and Residential)
- Commercial Accessory Structures may need Site Plan approval before a permit can be issued. Please contact email@example.com.
- Lien Agent (see requirement chart) - Only for Commercial Projects $30,000 and over
When applying for permit on portal – things to know:
Offices for Building Permits and Inspections are located in the Garland Municipal Business Center at 150 S. York Street on the first floor.
Garland Municipal Business Center
150 S. York Street, Gastonia, NC 28052
(PO Box 1748, Gastonia, NC 28053-1748)
Open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
704.866.6729 extension 3 (office)