For Carports 400 sq. ft. or less, a permit is not required.
For Carports over 400 sq. ft., please have the required submittals before starting application process on CV Portal:
* You will be prompted to upload required documents. *
- OWNER DOING ALL OR PART OF THE WORK (all can be done by owner if owner occupied. If not owner occupied, only building work can be done by owner and will need to secure NC licensed contractors for all other trades) - submit NOTARIZED OWNERS STATEMENT FOR LESS THAN 30,000 or NOTARIZED OWNERS STATEMENT FOR GREATER THAN $30,000 IN COST OF CONSTRUCTION, which will need to be notarized prior to submitting with application through our CV Portal, and check off the trade you will be doing work on.
- Site Plan showing distances, taking into consideration proposed structure, and mark property setbacks (you can contact the Zoning Department at firstname.lastname@example.org for setback requirement if not known).
- Engineered set of drawing for the carport (you can obtain from company you are purchasing the carport from).
When applying for permit on portal – things to know:
- Estimated Construction Cost Step 1 – Must always include
- Work Items Step 3 – Select driveway if you need to add one to provide access to Car Port. It not, continue to next step.
- Description of Work Step 4 – Enter square foot of car port in both boxes.
Offices for Building Permits and Inspections are located in the Garland Municipal Business Center at 150 S. York Street on the first floor.
Garland Municipal Business Center
150 S. York Street, Gastonia, NC 28052
(PO Box 1748, Gastonia, NC 28053-1748)
Open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
704.866.6729 extension 3 (office)