Cultural Classes / Student Exchange
Each year a very select group of high school students embark on a trip of a lifetime. They attend Cultural Classes at night during the school year in preparation for a trip to either our Sister City in Gotha, Germany or Santiago de Surco, Peru during the summer. They learn the language, culture and history of each country. This is one of the most successful programs offered by Gastonia Sister Cities. Student exchanges have been offered yearly since 1995-96 when 50 students visited Gotha for the first exchange. Now many of the original students have made German a part of their careers and continue their friendships that were made so many years ago.
Student requirements for Cultural Classes:
- Must be enrolled in a Gaston County School.
- Must be currently enrolled in a Spanish or German language class in school.
- Cultural Classes meet bi-weekly for the purpose of training 9th-11th graders to serve as student ambassadors.
- Cultural Class Applications are competitive and are available at area high schools or in the link below.
- Classes will begin in October.
- Trips to Germany or Peru will be in June.
- Cost is based on airfare and extra side trips.
Cultural Class Application (pdf)
Cultural Class Application (Online)
Note: Application cannot be saved and finished at later time. For completing this application, have the following items ready:
- License or passport
- Language teacher's name and school attending
- Parent's contact information,
- You will need to upload a file of your transcript of grades/academic records with attendance
- You will need to upload 2 teacher recommendations. One letter must be from your language teacher. (current teacher, church leaders, coaches, scout leaders, etc)
Frequently asked questions about the Peru tripOffices for Sister Cities services are located at the Garland Municipal Business Center at 150 S. York Street on the second floor.
Questions or comments about this site? Email the webmaster.