A subdivision is defined as “the division of a tract or parcel of land that is greater than two (2) or more lots, building sites, or other divisions for the purpose, whether immediate or future, of sale or building development.” The review of proposed subdivision development plans within the City and extraterritorial jurisdiction is for the conformance with al City, State, and Federal ordinances, in order to protect the public health, safety, and welfare.
Technical Review Committee (TRC) meets every Monday to discuss potential development. See quick link.
There are three types of subdivisions: Major, minor, and exempt. Each has its own set of rules that apply:
- Recommend plat submittal to City staff for review. See quick link for Plats.
- Required plat submittal to City staff for review. See quick link for Plats.
Major Subdivision Process:
- Submit preliminary plat for review using https://devsvcs.cityofgastonia.com/ . (see digital submittal guidelines in quick links)
- Preliminary Plat Staff Approval (Approval must be accepted before Construction Plan approval)
- Download Subdivision Plan Checklist
- Download City Grading Policy
- If public water and/or sewer extensions will be necessary, proceed to water and sewer quick link.
- Gaston County will review and permit all stormwater detention/treatment. See quick link.
- Submit plans/documents for review using https://devsvcs.cityofgastonia.com/ . (see digital submittal guidelines in quick links)
- TRC Review – 45 calendar days
- Resubmittals as necessary
- Approval of construction plan – (Avg time varies)
- Construct/bond public improvements. Bond Policy
- Approval of as-built plans, and receipt of certifications
- Final plat approval by City Council
- Record Final Plat
- Obtain building permits
- Issuance of CO’s will depend upon acceptance of public infrastructure, etc.
Note: Submittal of construction plans can be concurrent with site plan submittal
Garland Municipal Business Center
150 S. York Street, Gastonia, NC 28052
(PO Box 1748, Gastonia, NC 28053-1748)